What’s the right contraception for me?
There is a wide range of contraception choices available and the information contained here takes you to reliable services and websites with resources to help you when deciding on the best contraception for your circumstances. The majority of contraception choices are designed for women though men can use condoms or abstain from sex as contraceptive choices.
Women considering contraceptive options will need to make an appointment with a doctor to discuss what option is best suited to you. This can be facilitated at the Pregnancy Advisory Centre at the time of your appointment however it is recommended that follow up care and long term support occurs with your GP.
Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC ) options are considered the most effective contraception choices currently available and while no contraception is 100% effective, the use of contraception is the best way to decrease the chances of an unplanned pregnancy from occurring. Talk with your GP or doctor or nurse at the Pregnancy Advisory Centre for more information.
Costs for contraception will also vary according to your choice and can be a one off initial cost or an ongoing cost associated with a visit to your doctor for repeat prescriptions.
Where can I get more information?
There is a lot of information available about contraception and we have selected the following websites and information produced in Australia for Australian women. Some of the information is readily accessible in pamphlet or fact sheets or on the web. Information is also available in languages other than English.
SHine SA is the lead sexual health agency in South Australia and has easy to read information on any sexual health issue.
- Contraception choices and their effectiveness rating
- information on contraception that can be down loaded and printed from the website and is also available in other languages
- information on sexual health, education and training programs and clinic locations in Adelaide.
Below are links to 6 short You Tube Clips developed by Family Planning NSW that describes commonly available contraception.
- Contraception FAQs: Contraception General video
- Contraception FAQs: Implants video
- Contraception FAQs: Diaphragms video
- Contraception FAQs: IUD’s video
- Contraception FAQs: Vaginal rings video
- Contraception FAQs: Young People video