How to quit smoking?
How you quit is up to you. Some people do it without help, some with, and others feel they need some sort of medication to help them through. You might even use all of these options in one go, individually, or at different times. You have the power to quit!
Step 1 – Planning to quit
Getting ready to quit is an important first step in the journey.Get to know yourself and what it is that triggers your smoking cravings.Is it the addiction, is it stress, or is it the routine you’ve got into? Write down why you smoke and come up with a plan to help kick the addiction.
Your plan might be to:
- Smoke one day, and stop completely the next day.
- Cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke every day until you aren't smoking at all.
- Delay the first cigarette by an hour each day.
- Use nicotine replacement therapy products like patches or gum, lozenges or spray.
- Set a date that you will have quit by.
Step 2 – Get help
Some people do go cold turkey and quit without help.But others have more success in succeeding with help, it is up to you.
- Family and friends - see if any of your friends are an ambassador and give them a call? You will get support and find out how they did it, and that you’re not alone.
- Your local health service can explain how smoking affects your health and the health of your family, and help write a plan to give you the power to quit.
- Telephone support – Quitline 13 7848
- Online resources – Quitline or SA Health.
Step 3 – Put your plan in action and hang in there
Quitting the smokes is a journey, and it isn’t easy.Family and friends can also help keep you on track. Ask them to help you quit.
- Think small changes; take one step at a time.
- Start a new routine like drinking water when you have a craving or doing some exercise, or visiting someone.
- Take deep breaths when you have a craving.
- Look after yourself by eating well, getting enough sleep, going for a walk every day, doing something you like to do.
- Give yourself a reward when you’ve achieved a goal.
- Never give up!