Keeping your quit smoking resolution on track
If you decided to quit smoking as part of your new year’s resolution, well done!
Quitting smoking is one of the best things that you can do to improve your health and save money.
But quitting can be tough. Some of the hardest situations for many people making a quit attempt are being around friends on a night out.
If you’re not prepared for when a craving hits, then quitting can be even tougher. So here are 5 top tips for keeping your quit smoking resolution on track:
1. If you can, try to avoid smoking triggers such as situations where you normally smoke. Perhaps scale back on alcohol and, at least for a while, being around friends who smoke.
2. Keep your hands busy, especially when you have a craving. Having a glass or bottle of water on hand, playing with your watch or bracelet, or eating a healthy snack can help keep you occupied.
3. Be prepared if someone offers you a cigarette. Have a response ready to go like “Please don’t offer me cigarettes, ‘I’m quitting” or “No thanks, I don’t smoke”.
4. If a craving hits when you’re out with others, take a break from the situation. You could excuse yourself and go to the bathroom – just a few minutes away from a risky situation can be enough to get past an urge. Or go home early if things are getting too tough.
5. Get your mates on board. Let them know that you’re quitting. You could even get one of your friends to quit smoking with you.
And remember…if you relapse, that’s a normal part of quitting for many people. So don’t be too hard on yourself! Quitting takes practice, so tell yourself
“Every time you quit, you get a little better at it”…and make another attempt.
Help is available
If you are thinking about or have decided to quit, there is plenty of help available.
Call the Quitline on 13 7848. The friendly Quitline Specialists will listen without
judgementand provide you with lots of great advice to help keep your quit attempt on track. You can get more info about the Quitline; ask them to give you a call, or even chat tothem online.
My Quit Buddy is a free,
personalisedapp to help you quit smoking. It can also show you how much you’re saving when you stop smoking.