Pregnancy Advisory Centre
Facing an unplanned pregnancy may be a significant time in your life and may mean making difficult decisions that can be easier when you have support.
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre is a service of SA Health's Central Adelaide Local Health Network and provides pro-choice, non-judgmental, women centred and understanding services for women with an unplanned pregnancy.
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre was established in 1992 for only residents living in South Australia.
Telephone: (08) 8243 3999
Fax: (08) 8243 3998, SA Country FREECALL 1800 672 966
Address: 21 Belmore Terrace Woodville Park South Australia
Postal address: PO Box 23 Woodville SA 5011
Email address: HealthPAC@sa.gov.au
Confidential interpreting services from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are also available.
Opening hours are 9.00 am to 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday.
It is necessary to make an appointment prior to attending the Pregnancy Advisory Centre by contacting (08) 8243 3999.
Waiting for an appointment can be a stressful time; if you no longer need your scheduled appointment, let us know by calling or leaving a message at the Pregnancy Advisory Centre to cancel, or you can email HealthPAC@sa.gov.au including your name, date of birth with your appointment day and time.
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre provides the following services to South Australian residents:
- abortions for women up to 23 weeks pregnant
- medication and surgical abortions
- decision making counselling for women, partners and significant others
- post-abortion telephone or face-to-face counselling
- services to women with disabilities
- sexual health information
- it is necessary to make an appointment prior to attending the Pregnancy Advisory Centre
- bring your current Medicare card and/or Health Care card
- some services have co-payments
- you will require two visits to the Pregnancy Advisory Centre
You will be asked to complete some paperwork before attending your appointment
Our consultation rooms make it easy to relax and talk with health workers
Doctors, anaesthetists and nurses make up the expert health care team
Nursing staff are with you every step of the procedure to provide care and support
A quiet space where a support person can be with you before your discharge home
A little bit about us
What to expect
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre:
- provides high quality care for women and their partners in relation to an unplanned pregnancy
- is a pro-choice and women centred service meaning it is a woman’s right to decide when and how she will control her fertility
- treats all people with respect
- welcomes partners and other people important to the woman
- will affirm women's rights, experiences and feelings.
What we know
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre knows:
- fertility is not always controllable
- there is an inherent failure rate of contraceptive methods
- options and access to contraceptive methods in Australia are limited
- fertility control is influenced by social, cultural, economic, individual and relationship factors which may be beyond women’s capacity to influence directly
- societal attitude towards abortion may have a profound influence on women’s experience of abortion
How we advocate for women
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre addresses the management of unplanned and unwanted pregnancy, through the provision of factual, evidence-based information, decision-making strategies professional counselling, contraception and abortion services.
Abortion services have a responsibility to provide a supportive, non-judgmental environment.
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre believes that women’s health status is largely influenced by women’s position in society, which does not always allow equal access to economic, social and political resources.
Fertility control is crucial to women’s health status and as such abortion is a legitimate part of health service provision.
Sexuality and Gender Diversity
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre acknowledges that people who are sex and/or gender diverse, those who do not identify as heterosexual, and/or live with intersex variation(s) can experience unintended pregnancies and offers a safe and inclusive service.
You might be experiencing an unintended pregnancy, requiring access to contraception, or be supporting a friend to do the same and the Pregnancy Advisory Centre can help with support, counselling, information and referrals.
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre website content is directed towards people who are pregnant and referred to as ‘women’ while the information for those supporting them can include ‘for men’. The Pregnancy Advisory Centre acknowledges the limitations of these terms as generalist only and means no harm or disrespect in doing so.
The Pregnancy Advisory Centre has established relationships with many other services such as SHine SA that can provide specialist information for the GLBTIQA+ community. The SHine SA website provides a list of service locations in South Australia as well as resources and services offered.