Inpatient rehabilitation is provided to people who are in hospital.
Inpatient rehabilitation programs provide hospital based intensive rehabilitation for people who are unable to receive home based rehabilitation, for conditions such as:
- complex fractures (including hip and pelvis)
- complex total hip and knee joint replacements and spinal surgery
- critical illness conditions as a result of prolonged intensive care admissions
- Guilian Barre Syndrome and other neurological conditions including brain tumours
- limb amputation
- mild brain injuries
- multi-trauma (for example trauma as a result of motor vehicle accident)
- stroke and subarachnoid haemorrhages (bleeding in the area between the brain and the tissue that covers it)
- severe burns
- spinal cord injury
Inpatient programs are delivered by experienced multi-disciplinary teams (Medical/Nursing/Allied Health) and students.
You may also have access to:
- orthotics (splints/braces)
- prosthetics (artificial limbs)
- Spasticity Clinic
- other medical specialties such as cardiology and geriatrics.
Accessing inpatient rehabilitation
To access inpatient rehabilitation services, a referral is required from the hospital where you are receiving your current medical care or from a General Practitioner or specialist in the community.
Once you have been referred, a rehabilitation doctor or nurse coordinator will visit you in hospital to help decide if inpatient rehabilitation is the most suitable care option for you. If inpatient rehabilitation is not available at the hospital where you are receiving your medical care, you may be transferred to a location which provides inpatient rehabilitation.
Inpatient rehabilitation is provided in both county and metropolitan South Australia. See referral and contact information for a list of site locations.
Referral and contact information
Central Adelaide Local Health Network
To discuss referral, contact the Inpatient Rehabilitation Triage (Patient flow) Coordinator on 0421 098 528 or email Health.CALHNRehabService@sa.gov.au
Referral forms (XLS 154KB) can be faxed to: (08) 8222 1464
Northern Adelaide Local Health Network
Phone: (08) 8161 2000
Smart Road, Modbury, SA 5092
Southern Adelaide Local Health Network
To discuss referral, contact the Inpatient Rehabilitation Triage Coordinator on 0401 716 499.
Flinders Medical Centre
Phone: Tobruk (08) 8404 2063 or Kokoda (08) 8404 2143
Rehabilitation and Palliative Care Building
Flinders Drive, Bedford Park SA 5042
Country South Australia
To discuss referral, contact your local site.
Phone: (08) 8580 2500
21 Cornwell Street, Berri SA 5343
Phone: (08) 8721 1460
Wehl Street North, Mount Gambier SA 5290
Eyre Peninsula and Western South Australia
Phone: (08) 8648 8327
20 Wood Terrace, Whyalla SA 5608