Multidisciplinary Ambulatory Consulting Service (MACS) outpatient services in Central Adelaide
The MACS clinic provides outpatient services to patients living in the Central Adelaide Local Area Health Network (CALHN). MACS is a multidisciplinary service supporting patients with multiple and complex chronic conditions who are at risk of being hospitalised. The service combines evidence based clinical guidelines, patient centred practice and a shared care approach with general practitioners to enable patients to optimise their health and wellbeing and reduce hospital admissions.
Criteria for referral
- require complex medical management due to multimorbidity
- frequently present to the emergency departments, requiring hospital admissions
- require medication optimisation
- would benefit from holistic care management with multidisciplinary input
- require coordination of care, as they see multiple medical specialists and would benefit from case management.
- require further health education and support for effective self-management.
- are transitioning from paediatric chronic care management to the adult system.
Please click on this link to view an information brochure developed specifically for this patient population.
For patients in residential care facilities please contact our team directly to discuss the most suitable follow-up options which may include discussion with other services.
- For referring children see the Women’s and Children’s Health Network website.
- For all other referrals please use the CALHN Outpatient Clinic referral service request (M60) form (PDF 1.9MB)
- Named referrals are accepted and please include ‘MACS Clinic’ in the referral section
- Please state the reason for referral
- Comprehensive referrals including medications and a problem list assist timely triaging
- Clinic fax (for referrals):
— (08) 8429 6070 AND
— Referral Hub (08) 7074 6247
- Triage categories include:
— Immediate appointment (please call if the referral is urgent)
— Category 1 (<4 weeks)
— Category 2 (1-3 months)
— Category 3 (>3 months)
Bulk bill clinics: (named referral required)
- Dr Sepehr Shakib
- Dr Rami Tadros
- Dr Josephine Thomas
- Dr Liza Philips
If the patient, or their general practitioner, is concerned about a deterioration and assessment is required earlier than planned, a phone call to the RAH Clinical Pharmacology Department on (08) 7074 2701 will allow this to be discussed with one of the team members.
Post discharge guidelines
Patients will be discharged once their medical conditions have stabilized. If re-assessment is required, a new referral, preferably a named referral (see consultant list), should be faxed to the MACS clinic (08) 8429 6070 AND RAH Outpatients Referrals Hub on (08) 7074 6247.
Multidisciplinary team members
- Professor Sepehr Shakib (Director of Clinical Pharmacology)
- Dr Rami Tadros (Clinical Pharmacologist, General Physician)
- Dr Nicholas Farinola (Clinical Pharmacologist, General Physician, Hospital at Home Consultant)
- Dr Josephine Thomas (General Physician)
- Dr Jane Conway (General Physician)
- Dr Patrick Russell (General Physician)
- Dr Liza Phillips (Endocrinologist)
- Dr Daniel Scherer/ (Cardiologist)
- Dr Angela Molga (Geriatrician, Clinical Pharmacologist)
- Dr Tom Polasek (Clinical Pharmacology RMO)
- Allyson Rappensberg (Chronic Disease Nurse Consultant)
- Georgina Walker (Chronic Disease Nurse Consultant)
- Amanda Shields (Project Manager, Occupational Therapist)
- Natalie Soulsby
- Nashwa Masnoon
- Todorka Grammatopoulous
Appointment location – Outpatients
Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) Level 5 East
Please view the Outpatient map (go to level 5 map)
RAH, 1 Port Road, Adelaide SA 5000
Appointment enquiries including new, review or change of appointments contact: (08) 7074 2701 MACS department
Clinical Pharmacology Department/ MACS Team
Level 8, RAH, 1 Port Road, Adelaide SA 5000
Telephone: (08) 7074 2701
Fax: (08) 8429 6070