Breadcrumbs

About The Queen Elizabeth Hospital

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (TQEH) is a 311 bed, acute care teaching hospital that provides inpatient, outpatient, emergency and mental health services to a population of more than 250,000 people living primarily in Adelaide’s western suburbs.

Opening as an urgent post-war project in 1954, the hospital operated purely as a maternity hospital until the general section opened to the public in March 1959. In addition to the hospital’s main campus in Woodville, the hospital also operates the St Margaret’s Rehabilitation Hospital in Semaphore, a Diabetes Outreach Service (located next to the main hospital) and a Pregnancy Advisory Service (Belmore Terrace, Woodville Park).

The hospital has a proud and strong tradition of providing excellent clinical care, teaching and research, and has developed a fine reputation as a teaching hospital with many world-acclaimed achievements in its history.

In the 2010–11 financial year The Queen Elizabeth Hospital:

  • employed about 2500 staff
  • attended to 42,000 Emergency Department presentations
  • performed 16,000 surgical procedures
  • admitted 36,000 patients
  • provided outpatient services to 175,000 patients.

Did you know?

Did you know the:

  • hospital was named by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 24 March 1954 by special proclamation, and officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen Mother when she visited the Hospital on 5 March 1958.
  • surgeons performed Australia’s first successful kidney transplant on 21 February 1964.
  • hospital was the first teaching hospital in South Australia to be accredited by the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards.
  • first hospital in South Australia to appoint a Cardiac Nurse Practitioner.
  • volunteer service, The Friends of The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, was established in April 1960 as a canteen service to provide patients with tea, coffee, cool drinks and biscuits. Over the years this passionate group has evolved into a highly professional volunteer service that works in partnership with hospital staff and departments for the benefit of both patients and the wider hospital community.

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital redevelopment - foundations for the future

The State Government has has invested many millions of dollars towards redeveloping the hospital over the past few years, ensuring it can continue to provide both staff and patients with modern, state-of-the-art accommodation and facilities.

Stage 1 of the hospital’s redevelopment, which included the construction of a new 200-bed inpatient facility, was completed in February 2004, at a cost of $34.7 million.

The $127 million Stage 2 was completed in 2008-09 and includes a second inpatient building, the Basil Hetzel Research Institute and a multi-deck staff carpark.

Stage 2B, worth $162 million, was completed in April 2013 and includes a new rehabilitation building and a 20-bed Older Person’s Mental Health Unit.

^ Back to top