Noarlunga Hospital services listing - S

Social Work

Noarlunga Hospital (NH) patients and their families, who are receiving medical treatment can also access social work services.

Social workers can provide: 

  • help with accommodation and residential aged care placement issues
  • support with grief and loss
  • assistance for people who are at risk of abuse or neglect
  • help for patients who are carers for a dependent person
  • referrals to community services/supports
  • advocacy
  • short term counselling
  • help with major life decisions which impact upon health
  • help for patients or family members experiencing distress due to a medical event or trauma
  • advise about financial concerns
  • problem solving for a safe discharge from hospital
  • help with family issues which impact upon health
  • counselling for patients attending the Family Advisory Unit
  • assistance with guardianship and administration orders

People accessing the NH Emergency Department can also access social work services for help with:

  • crisis intervention requiring short-term counselling or referral for issues such as homelessness and hospital avoidance
  • domestic violence
  • bereavement
  • attempted suicide
  • assault (physical and sexual assault)
  • child abuse/elder abuse
  • unplanned pregnancy
  • trauma

A social work service is available to consumers attending the Noarlunga Hospital Renal Dialysis Unit.

Please note: People who aren't receiving treatment at NH can access help through Noarlunga GP Plus Super Clinic and Aldinga GP Plus Health Care Centre.

Telephone:  (08) 8384 9233

Fax:  (08) 8384 9711


Southern Intermediate Care Centre (SICC)

SICC provides step up and step down care options for people accessing mental health care, referred by Mental Health Services. SICC is located in Noarlunga and available to people who are living in the southern metropolitan Adelaide and surrounding inner rural areas.

The service supports people when discharged from hospital and no longer needing inpatient care, and those that are living in the community who do not require acute mental health services and who would benefit from short-term, intensive treatment and support in a residential setting.

This type of residential support can minimise the risk of further deterioration or relapse, and help people avoid a hospital admission.

Visit the Intermediate care centres page to find out more about this type of service.

Location: Alexander Kelly Drive, Noarlunga Centre

Telephone: (08) 8164 9855

Fax:  (08) 8164 9100

Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week


A senior mental health clinician triages referrals daily. Referrals are accepted from:

  • mental health triage
  • Southern Community Mental Health
  • inpatient units and Emergency Department
  • mental health consultation liaison services

Stepping Up: A social inclusion action plan for mental health reform (PDF 712KB)

Speech Pathology

NH speech pathologists work with people who have communication or swallowing difficulties to improve their health and quality of life. We provide inpatient and outpatient services for people 18 years and older. Our team can:

  • diagnose and manage swallowing problems
  • diagnose and manage communication disorders (speech/language)
    including those relating to brain injury, stroke, physical trauma, tumours, Parkinson’s disease and other neurological conditions
  • diagnose and manage voice disorders
  • provide education sessions for carers and relevant others as necessary
  • provide support and education to those managing our clients in the community (including residential care facilities)

Please note: Inpatients are prioritised for this service and referrals are triaged. People are referred to specialist clinics when appropriate.

Treatment is individual. However, on occasion we are able to offer speech and language groups.

Location:  Alexander Kelly Clinics, Noarlunga Hospital, accessed via the main entrance

Telephone:  (08) 8384 9233

Fax:  (08) 8384 9711

Hours:  9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday


Anyone can refer to our services with the patient's permission. The speech pathologist will then contact the patient/carer and make an appointment. Medical information will be sought as necessary, generally from your GP. Please access Referral processes for more information about referring to NH.

Visit the Speech Pathology Clinic information for details about our outpatient services

^ Back to top