Hospital avoidance and discharge support services
The Metropolitan Referral Unit (MRU) provides a single point of contact for referral to a range of hospital avoidance and early supported discharge services.
The service can be used for clients living in the Adelaide metropolitan area.
What services are available?
Short term support is available for people at immediate risk of a public hospital presentation. The unit can also provide a safe and supported environment for patients to leave hospital earlier than otherwise possible. Services are provided in the person’s home or at a residential care facility.
The MRU coordinates referrals to the following SA Health programs:
- Community Nursing Palliative Care
- Community Nursing – Long term support
- End of Life Choices
Available support services supported through these programs include:
- nursing/midwifery care
- personal care
- allied health services
- palliative care support.
Who can refer to the Metropolitan Referral Unit?
Referrals are accepted from health care professionals including:
- Acute public hospital teams
- General Practitioners
- Residential care facilities
- South Australian Ambulance Service
- Community palliative care and mental health teams
The Metropolitan Referral Unit is open between 8.00 am and 8.00 pm, seven days a week including public holidays.
Please note that the service is not an emergency response and usual processes for emergency care should be followed.
Referrals are accepted by telephone or fax.
Referral forms are available for download below. Please fax the completed form to the number below.
Telephone: 1300 110 600
Fax: 1300 546 104
- Referral form (PDF 69KB)
- Medication Authority (PDF 63KB)
- Obstetric neonatal referral form (PDF 98KB)
- Mental health referral form (PDF 105KB)
- Mental health risk assessment form (PDF 91KB)
- for General Practitioners
- for Residential Care Facilities
- PICC Line Management at Discharge
- Intravenous Antibiotic Therapy with Healthcare@home Hospital Avoidance - GP Referrals
- Accommodation with Healthcare@home Hospital Avoidance Post Procedural