South Australia Brain Injury Rehabilitation Services (SA BIRS)
The facility is situated in spacious garden surroundings in the suburb of Northfield South Australia, 10 kilometers north-east of the Adelaide city Centre.
"Rehabilitation is a process of restoring function through re-learning lost abilities or finding new ways of doing everyday activities to maximise lifestyle. Rehabilitation is very different from being “treated” in an acute hospital care setting. In all areas trained allied health, medical and nursing staff work with clients, client’s families and friends, and others, to design and implement rehabilitation programs using an integrated team approach".
The South Australia Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service is a South Australian statewide specialist rehabilitation service, which covers South Australia and also provides services for clients from western New South Wales and the Northern Territory.
The SA Brain Injury Rehabilitation Service receives referrals from major metropolitan acute and sub care facilities, country centers and interstate facilities. Our clients are adults, aged over 18 years, who have experienced an acquired brain injury and who require a period of specialised interdisciplinary rehabilitation to facilitate recovery and adjustment to changes and to promote independence and a positive lifestyle in the community.
- interdisciplinary team approach, including:
- occupational therapy
- neuropsychology and psychology
- social work
- speech pathology
- recreational, vocational and educational services
- individual and family focused programs designed to meet everyday life goals
- learning new and modified skills within the ward, home and community environments
- support, education and counselling for individuals and their families
- access to therapies and professional staff of all disciplines
- community support through active liaison with community resources
- Spasticity Clinic for inpatients and outpatients focusing on movement disorders and issues related to spasticity and other sequelae of acquired brain injury
- a driver assessment and retraining program.