Variety Children’s Centre - Paediatric Unit at Flinders Medical Centre
Overview of current facilities
The Variety Children's Centre is located on Level 4 of Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) and provides patients with access to specialist paediatric care, and inpatient medical and surgical care. The centre also provides state of the art medical imaging facilities and multidisciplinary allied health services.
Areas include the below.
This is under the auspice of the Emergency Department at FMC which has a special section for assessing children. An adjacent waiting area contains toys, a television and videos. Each year approximately 12,000 children are seen in emergency, and of these 25% are admitted to FMC.
Our 33 bed Paediatric Unit (children’s ward), is specially designed to meet the needs of children and their families. Children are admitted to the Paediatric Unit for problems ranging from emergency medical and surgical conditions to adolescent mood disorders.
We welcome parents to visit as often as possible during their child’s hospital stay and encourage them to live-in. Bed and breakfast accommodation is available. Our hospital school is staffed by a school teacher and a school services officer, providing educational support and activities in the classroom and by the bedside.
Paediatric Outpatient Clinics
An extensive range of paediatric clinics are available at FMC, with some clinics provided in collaboration with visiting specialists from the Women’s and Children’s Hospital. For families living south of the hospital, FMC offers clinics at Noarlunga Health Services as an outreach service.
Children’s Assessment Team
The Children’s Assessment Team (CAT) is an inter-disciplinary team that provides specialised assessments of children with multiple or complex development problems including conditions such as Autism Spectrum Disorder and Global Developmental Delay.
Staff in the team include:
- Clinical Psychologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Pathologist
- Paediatric Registrar (Trainee)
- Department for Education and Child Development(DECD) Consultant
- Administration staff
Most children and families will not see all of these professionals. The types of assessments are coordinated according to the needs of each child and family. Sometimes, professionals from other relevant or involved agencies participate in the assessment, and/or feedback session for a child and family.
CAT is based at Flinders Medical Centre.
Referrals to CAT need to be made on the appropriate form with parent consents.
For further information contact the CAT Administration Officer on (08) 8204 4433 or email email@example.com.
Please note that there is a long wait list for this service.
Telephone: (08) 8204 4433
Child Protection Service
The Child Protection Service (CPS) aims to provide specialist assessment and therapeutic services to infants, children and young people from birth to 18 years and their families where there are concerns about child abuse, psychological maltreatment and/or neglect.
SALHN-CPS is located at the Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) and provides these services to families residing within the southern metropolitan areas of Adelaide and southern South Australia.
If you are wanting to make a notification about a child's safety, you need to call the Child Abuse Report Line (Department of Child Protection) on 131 478.
The CPS offers a range of services including:
- Telephone consultation to professionals within the Southern Area Local Health Network (SALHN), other professionals and members of the public to discuss child protection matters, provide information and advice, and where appropriate facilitate referrals to other services. This is available Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm
The CPS accepts assessment referrals from the Department of Child Protection (DCP) and SA Police for:
- Forensic medical assessments in relation to suspicious/unexplained injuries or severe neglect (for children and young people under the age of 18) and allegations of sexual abuse (for children/young people under the age of 16)
- Forensic psychosocial assessments of children under the age of 7 to assess situations where there have been allegations of physical abuse, sexual abuse, neglect or psychological maltreatment
- Parenting capacity assessments to assess the potential safety and wellbeing of infants, children and young people where the Department of Child Protection have significant concerns about abuse/neglect and/or psychological maltreatment
- Comprehensive Health Assessments and health reviews of children who are in out of home care
- The CPS provides a therapeutic reunification service for infants and young children under the age of 5 years and their family. Referrals for this service are accepted from the Department of Child Protection where the children are under current Guardianship Orders.
How to access the service
The CPS provides a telephone consultation service, which can be accessed by telephoning 8204 5485 during business hours and asking to speak to the duty worker.
The CPS also provides an afterhours emergency telephone consultation service for professionals (eg the Department of Child Protection, SAPOL and health professionals) which can be accessed by telephoning the FMC Switchboard on 8204 5611 and asking for the CPS.
Director, Jacquie Beall, telephone: 8204 5485
Clinical Services Coordinator, Kerri Molden, telephone: 8204 5485
Office Manager, Debra Cavender, telephone: 8204 5485
Telephone general enquiries: (08) 8204 5485
Duty Worker (08) 8204 5485
After Hours Referrals (08) 8204 5611 (ask for CPS)
Fax (08) 8204 5612
Location: 'The Flats', Flinders Drive, Bedford Park SA 5042
The Child Protection Service carpark is the last carpark on the left hand side of Flinders Drive, near the top of the hill. An additional carpark (wheelchair access) is available behind the CPS Administration building. Access is gained by driving to the end of Flinders Drive, turn left at University Drive and turn left into the carpark.
Department contact details
Clinical Director and April Ellis
Telephone: (08) 8204 4459
Fax: (08) 8204 3945