Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Services at Flinders Medical Centre
The Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Flinders Medical Centre provides clinical care and expertise to patients of the southern districts of Adelaide and South Australia.
The Unit is active in training postgraduate doctors in the early phases of general surgery and the advanced training in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Staff in the Unit often includes senior training plastic surgeons from Europe or the United Kingdom.
Conditions treated: Treatment is offered in many areas of plastic and reconstructive surgery including:
- skin cancer and reconstruction after skin cancer
- cleft lip and palette
- reconstructive micro surgery including breast reconstruction
- surgery of the hand (eg for rheumatoid and osteoarthritis)
- emergency surgery care after trauma (eg facial injury and fractures, hand and limb soft tissue or fractures injuries)
- surgery and reconstruction of head and neck tumours
- breast surgery, reduction, surgery for asymmetry and reconstruction (augmentation mammoplasty is not included under Medicare provision)
- burns surgery (including minor burns - less than 10% total body surface area, and major burns - up to 40% total body surface area)
Complex injuries are treated by multidisciplinary teams including ophthalmologists, orthopaedic surgeons, general surgeons and ear, nose and throat specialists.
Unfortunately, extended waiting times are experienced by patients with low priority plastic surgery conditions, as cases are assessed for medical urgency.
Head of Unit - Dr Nicola Dean
Telephone: (08) 8204 5213
Fax: (08) 8204 3031