Medical Oncology Services at Flinders Medical Centre
The Department of Medical Oncology at Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) provides a comprehensive specialist service for patients with cancer who are from the southern region of Adelaide or southern part of South Australia. The oncology team at FMC have special interests and skill in caring for patients with cancers of the breast, lung, gastrointestinal system and melanoma.
Support services for patients
Staff at FMC care for the physical and psychological needs of patients including access to information, education and counselling. ‘Living with Cancer’ support programs for patients, families and carers are held regularly.
A special Cancer Care Nursing Consultant is available for patients, families or carers.
The department is involved in a number of clinical trials investigating new cancer treatments. Treatment trials for breast cancer, metastatic melanoma, pancreas, lung, colon, oesophageal cancer and non-hodgkin’s lymphoma are underway.
For information regarding current trials and eligibility criteria please contact the Research Coordinator on ph 8204 5511 and ask for pager 20133.
Training opportunities for medical students, rotating trainees in general medicine and for advanced trainees in medical oncology are available through the department.
Referrals from general practitioners or medical specialists are accepted.
Telephone: (08) 8404 2151
Fax: (08) 8404 2152
Cancer Care Coordinator
The Cancer Care Coordinator Service provides a specialised nursing service to patients who have been diagnosed with cancer. The Cancer Care Coordinator can provide support and education for Flinders Medical Centre patients, their families, carers and staff.
Services are available for:
Patients and carers
- provide assistance and information to patients, families and carers about their illness, and the treatment options
- facilitate contact with community supports and resources
- provide ongoing support
Community and country health practitioners
- establish community links with country centres to assist patient care and staff education
- provide expertise in chemotherapy administration, management and education
- provide education in cancer care for Flinders Medical Centre staff
- coordinate and assist nursing practice research projects in cancer care
Telephone: (08) 8204 5511, pager 38848
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm