Services at Naracoorte Health Service
The following services are available:
Accident and emergency
We provide a 24-hour emergency service.
Maternity and obstetrics
We have facilities for birthing, epidural pain relief and caesarean operations at our hospital. There is a visiting gynaecologist and obstetrician. GPs assist women with care and treatment before, during and after childbirth, with midwives assisting in the provision of care.
You can now receive low-risk chemotherapy treatment in Naracoorte and medium risk treatments in Mount Gambier under the care of your visiting oncologist based in the Mount Gambier Chemotherapy Unit.
South East chemotherapy services include:
- Coordination of your cancer care which can help you navigate the health system.
- Treatments including oral chemotherapy and intravenous infusion treatments in the chemotherapy unit or via slow release pumps.
- Access to a visiting oncology clinic at the Mount Gambier chemotherapy unit.
- Access to video conferencing units so you can have follow-up appointments with your oncologist, this may reduce the need to travel for some appointments.
- Non-chemotherapy infusion centre services including pump disconnects, PICC and port flushes, and blood transfusions referred from any source.
- Access to referral to local Cancer Support Groups and Supportive Programs such as Look Good Feel Better
See the New regional cancer services brochure (PDF 100KB) for more information.
Medical and surgical hospital services
The hospital provides general medical and surgical care including day surgery, for adults and children, acute care, psychiatry and palliative care.
Our services include:
- general medicine
- palliative care
- aged care
- vascular surgery
- coronary care
- general surgery
- ear, nose and throat (ENT)
- orthodontic/oral surgery
- respite care
- plastic surgery
- neurosurgery (consult and minor procedures only)
- cardiac diagnostics.
A chemotherapy service with four chemotherapy chairs with trained and accredited Registered Nurses to provide chemotherapy treatment and other cancer services, including infusions.
Residential aged care
We have a residential aged care facility for people with a high level of needs and respite. It includes a secure unit for care of people with dementia. This facility has 23 single rooms and nine double rooms available (State and Commonwealth funded). There is 24-hour supervision by a registered nurse.