Flinders Medical Centre
As part of the 2017/18 State Budget, $3.5 million is being invested to create two additional operating theatres at Flinders Medical Centre, increasing surgery capacity at the hospital.
SA Health is also investing $3 million to expand the Emergency Department, ensuring state-of-the-art emergency care and increasing emergency capacity for the ever-growing Southern suburbs.
The developments include:
- Increasing the total number of operating theatres from 10 to 12
- Significantly increasing surgical capacity
- Approximately 12 additional emergency bays
- New paediatric resuscitation room
Construction currently underway at Flinders Medical Centre
$185.5 million has been invested to improve and upgrade facilities at Flinders Medical Centre, including:
- a new rehabilitation centre, with 55 rehabilitation beds, new gyms and a hydrotherapy pool so rehabilitation can start sooner
- Southern Adelaide Palliative Services will relocate to Level 5 of the new rehabilitation building, offering access to shared spaces and a large rooftop garden
- a new 1820 space multi-deck car park (1260 more spaces than before the redevelopment commenced) is currently under construction, to make it easier to visit friends and family
- a dedicated orthogeriatric service
- a new centre for the Older Persons’ Mental Health Service.
A new 50-cot Neonatal Unit is also being built at Flinders Medical Centre, which will provide the facilities necessary to support up-to-date family-centred neonatal health services for babies and their families all within one clinical zone.
Building upon previous investment
Since 2002, $193 million has been invested in the Flinders Medical Centre to undertake projects that improve facilities for residents in Southern Adelaide, including:
- construction of a new south wing building, including a Birthing and Assessment Suite and a Maternity and Gynaecology Unit
- redeveloped Emergency Department, including an ocean-themed paediatrics emergency area, time critical bays and an ambulance deck canopy
- expansion of the Intensive and Critical Care Unit by eight beds, taking the total number of beds to 32
- a new Acute Medical Unit located adjacent to the Emergency Department
- a new purpose built 20-bed Cardiac Care Unit
- a redeveloped and expanded operating theatre suite, including ten new state-of-the-art operating theatres, plus two additional shell theatres for future expansion and a new Day of Surgery Admissions Unit
- new MRI/CT imaging facility
- refurbished paediatric inpatient ward
- significant upgrade to the site engineering infrastructure and refurbishment of Central Sterilising Services Department facilities
- construction of a decked car park and completion of the Margaret Tobin Centre.
There are currently no news items.