Goal 2 - Making the Most of Clinical Placement Capacity
The Clinical Placement Coordination (CPC) Team currently has a key operational role in the planning and allocation of nursing, midwifery and some allied health clinical placements, by understanding, negotiating and matching the needs of participating health service providers and higher education and training providers. The management of clinical placements is a core critical function of SA Health, within SA Health's Office for Professional Leadership.
A key aim of Goal 2 of Better Placed framework is to accomplish the following:
- implement a single state-wide clinical placement information management system (CPMS) or electronic platform to support matching and scheduling of student cohorts to clinical placements; including monitoring and managing placement allocations
- establish business rules including processes for prioritising placements and management of cancellation, last minute changes and potential 'placement by exception' where able to be accommodated
- provide clear articulation and communication of pre-placement requirements for all health students undertaking placements across SA Health services, including exploration of improved systems to ensure compliance with pre-placement requirements (such as student 'placement prerequisites' or similar)
- establish clear processes for the management of clinical placement agreements, including placement booking arrangements in collaboration with education providers
- develop SA Health Clinical Placement online content to provide a central repository of all information regarding clinical placement requirements and activities, including policies and procedures.
For further information please contact the Better Placed Clinical Placements Team:
Phone: (08) 8226 6010
A set of fact sheets on clinical placements planning administration has been developed to assist the following:
How EPs should advise Health Sites of locations that students will be attending – Multiple Location Placement Bookings
How EPs should advise Health Sites of locations that students will be attending – Multiple Location Placement Bookings (PDF 563KB) explains what health sites and students need to know where they will be attending placements and this especially important in country regions with vast distance separating facilities and locations.
How to update booking numbers
How to update booking numbers (PDF 326KB) - While reviewing/updating a specific Subject/Study Periods student numbers, sometimes the numbers of confirmed bookings may need to be reduced.
The Annual Process of reserving/offering and accepting placements has been completed and day to day operations has commenced for 2016
Annual process of reserving/offering and accepting placements fact sheet (PDF 474KB) - When student names have been uploaded into the CPMS – the EP can then allocate students to these bookings, this also allows the health sites to know where each student will be attending at their health site. This fact sheet “How EPs should advise Health Sites of locations that students will be attending – Multiple Location Placement Bookings”.
Managing partnerships in viCPlace
The managing partnerships in viCPlace fact sheet (PDF 486KB) outlines issues experienced with Partnership management in viCPlace and provides guidelines of how to use partnerships within viCPlace.
Assigning offered placements in viCPlace in the planning period issues
The assigning offered placements in viCPlace in the planning period issues fact sheet (PDF 671KB) update provides an overview of common issues experienced associated with assignments of subjects and study periods by education providers to offered clinical placements.
Understanding locked/unlocked placements in viCPlace
The understanding locked/unlocked placements in viCPlace fact sheet (PDF 414KB) update provides an overview of how clinical placement bookings are ‘Locked’ and ‘Unlocked’ within viCPlace as well as providing an overview of the Lock function purpose.
Managing placements with forum requests in viCPlace
The managing placements with forum requests in viCPlace fact sheet (PDF 626KB) update provides an overview of the Forum function and how to use it for communications between EPs and CPPs about specific placements.
Placements administering leading up to placement start
The placements administering leading up to placement start fact sheet (PDF 696KB) covers the main activities that are now to be performed during the administering of placements leading up to study period (block) commencements.
The main activities covered in this fact sheet are:
- requesting additional clinical placements
- cancelling confirmed clinical placements
- re-allocation of cancelled clinical placements
- reducing Students in confirmed clinical placements
- uploading student details
- completing Pre-Placement prerequisites.
The following activities not covered in this fact sheet will be communicated at a later date:
- prepare and maintain student rosters
- student attendance marking.
Frequently asked questions
A set of frequently asked question on clinical placements and CPC Teams has been developed to assist the following::