Better Placed - Excellence in Health Education
Clinical education and placements are integral to the education of health professionals, facilitating the integration of theory and practice. This growth in student numbers, as well as intense student interest in health careers, has resulted in increased competition for placement sites and increased pressure on health services to accommodate placements. Quality and sustainable clinical education and placements need a positive partnership between education providers and clinical sites. Over the last decade in South Australia, there has been both increased demand for health services and a near doubling of South Australian university health profession students. SA Health has developed a framework for governance and clarity regarding responsibility for the leadership, oversight, management and coordination of SA Health’s approach to clinical placements.
Better Placed proposed directions and actions
SA Health’s ongoing commitment to educating its future workforce, Better Placed: Excellence in Health Education 2017-2019 (PDF 168KB) outlines the proposed directions going forward to 2019 that will continue to build on the success of the previous framework.
The four major goals for implementation by the end of 2019 are:
- Strong Partnerships that work – SA Health has established a clinical placement governance structure to provide leadership and a strategic approach to clinical placement management.
- Making the Most of Clinical Placement Capacity – Working in partnership with education providers to maximise placement opportunities.
- Alignment with Workforce Need – How to build capacity within the system and match clinical placements to future workforce needs.
- High Quality Learning Experiences – Establish systems and processes to deliver high quality clinical placements..
26 May 2017
- Careers Australia Group has been placed into voluntary administration
- All student’s clinical placements have been suspended immediately
Better Placed newsletters
- Issue 5, March 2017 (PDF 146KB) - 2017 & Getting Ready for 2018
- Issue 4, November 2016 (PDF 227KB) - Getting ready for 2017