Changes to SALHN outpatient services
A number of Southern Adelaide Local Health Network (SALHN) outpatient services are moving across the network between July and October 2017. These services will be available at the following sites:
- Noarlunga GP Plus Super Clinic;
- Marion GP Plus Health Care Centre
- Flinders Medical Centre (FMC); and
- Noarlunga Hospital.
The reconfiguration of services has been planned so that, wherever possible, services and clinicians providing similar services are located together to improve patient access, care and experience.
Importantly all outpatient services that are currently provided across SALHN will continue to be available.
The relocation of services will affect GPs and specialists who refer patients to SALHN. This includes changes to the contact details and where referrals will now need to be sent to. The referral management process may also change in an attempt to streamline it.
GPs and specialists who are referring patients to the SALHN outpatient services that are relocating will receive a notification letter with information about the new service location and timing of the move, as well as information on what they will need to do for future referrals.
Communication to patients will occur in a three-step process and will include:
- The patient will be sent a letter which documents their next appointment’s date, time and new location. A map identifying the clinic’s new location and Frequently Asked Questions sheet will accompany the letter. Letters will be mailed to patients wherever possible six weeks prior to the patient’s first appointment at the new location;
- A follow-up phone call will be made to each patient approximately two weeks after appointment letters have been mailed. The follow up phone call will check that the patient has received the letter notifying them of the date, time and location of their next appointment, and to provide guidance should the patient have any questions regarding their clinic’s new location; and
- SMS reminders will be sent in the week prior to the patient’s appointment at the new location.
The SALHN outpatient clinic relocation has been designed as clinical hubs, where health professional staff with specialised skills in similar clinical areas provide their services from one site, making it easier for patients to attend multiple appointments. This supports improved quality and efficiency of care, as well as a more streamlined experience for patients.
For example: patients with diabetes are at higher risk of circulation problems in their feet. Our outpatient services at Marion GP Plus Health Care Centre will include our diabetes and podiatry clinics as well as our vascular clinics.
Information about the moves will be available via the Transforming Health website and the SALHN Outpatient portal on the SA Health website, and relevant referral management guidelines will be updated as the moves progress.
For more information, please contact 8275 1837, between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.