SA Health is committed to improving the safety and quality of medicines use to promote optimal patient outcomes through enhanced medicines management.
Underpinning this commitment is the SA Health Medication Safety Program and the SA Medication Safety Advisory Group (SAMSAG), the peak SA Health Advisory group promoting safe use of medicines.
Medication Safety Program
The Medication Safety Program focuses on the prevention of adverse medication events by supporting clinicians and empowering patients to achieve best practice in medication management through implementation of proven and sustainable strategies integrated across all health settings.
The Program is aligned with the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards and is informed by state, national and international goals.
The Medication Safety Program is overseen by the Medicines and Technology Branch and contributes to the overall strategy to improve outcomes from medicines use coordinated by the South Australian Medicines Advisory Committee (SAMAC).
Medication Safety Program initiatives include:
- Supporting healthcare organisations undertaking accreditation in medication safety (National Safety and Quality Health Service Standard 4 – Medication Safety) including SA Health Medication Safety Accreditation resource guide (PDF 1577KB).
- Having standardised labels on medicines, fluids and lines to help reduce the risk of medication administration errors.
- Using standardised medication terminology, abbreviations, dose expressions and symbols when prescribing and administering medicines.
- Providing standard medication charts for patient care.
- Implementing pharmaceutical reforms to improve the management of medication used by patients transferring from hospital to the community by accessing medicines via the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
- Highlighting high risk medicines and related strategies.
- Providing support and reporting functions for safety audits.
- Training and development in medication safety.
- Facilitating development of statewide medication related policy and guidelines.
For more information on medication safety, please contact 8226 7080 or email HealthMedicationSafety@sa.gov.au
Medication Safety News
Alerts and notices
For recent medication safety alerts and notices, see the Medication alerts page.