Dispensing of interstate prescriptions
Schedule 4 medicines
Prescriptions for schedule 4 medicines (such as blood pressure medications or cholesterol lowering tablets) written by prescribers in another state or territory can be dispensed in South Australia. Similarly, prescriptions for schedule 4 medicines written in South Australia can be dispensed in another state or territory.
Schedule 8 medicines
Prescriptions for schedule 8 medicines (such as morphine, oxycodone or dexamphetamine) written by prescribers in another state or territory can be dispensed in South Australia provided the pharmacist or practitioner dispensing the prescription:
- knows the person for whom the medication has been prescribed OR
- recognises the signature on the prescription as that of the prescriber who purportedly wrote the prescription OR
- has verified the prescription by contacting the prescriber1.
Other states and territories may not necessarily allow prescriptions for schedule 8 medicines written in South Australia to be dispensed in their jurisdiction.
To find out which states/territories allow prescriptions for schedule 8 medicines written in South Australia to be dispensed in their jurisdiction you will need to contact the regulatory body for that state/territory. Please refer below for a list of contact details for each state/territory.
Medicines used in drug treatment programs
(for example: methadone liquid and sublingual buprenorphine)
Each state and territory has different policies about dispensing prescriptions for treatment through an opioid dependence program (for example, Opioid Dependence Substitution Program) written in other jurisdictions.
Please refer to the below for more information on:
- Validity of a South Australian prescription for Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Dependence (MATOD) in another State/Territory (PDF 156KB)
- Validity of an interstate prescription for MATOD in South Australia (PDF 157KB)
1 Regulation 35(8)(a) Controlled Substances (Poisons) Regulations 2011
State/territory regulatory body contacts
Australian Capital Territory
Phone: (02) 6205 0998
New South Wales
Phone: (02) 9879 5239
Phone: (08) 8922 7340
Phone: (07) 3328 9890
Phone: (03) 6166 0400
Phone: 1300 364 545
Phone: (08) 9388 4980