The South Australian expert Advisory Group on Antimicrobial Resistance (SAAGAR) has developed evidence-based, peer-reviewed guidelines relating to best practice standards in antimicrobial usage. By optimising use of antimicrobials, adverse events including the development of antimicrobial resistance can be minimised.
These guidelines are designed to be used in conjunction with Therapeutic Guidelines: Antibiotic Version 15 developed by Therapeutic Guidelines Limited (TGL), an independent not-for-profit organisation.
Further guidelines will be added to this site as they become available.
SAAGAR advice regarding alterative antibiotics during the shortage of:
- Norfloxacin (PDF 77KB)
- Metronidazole (PDF 103KB)
Medication Safety Notice regarding national shortage of:
Surgical Antibiotic Prophylaxis Guidelines
Surgical antibiotic prophylaxis is an accepted part of surgical practice to prevent infections at the surgical site and optimise post-operative recovery. The statewide Surgical Antibiotic Prophylaxis Clinical Guideline (PDF 785KB) has been developed by SAAGAR to assist clinicians with recommendations on appropriate antibiotic dosage and administration, risks and contraindications and post-operative care for a range of surgical procedures.
The recommended antimicrobial prophylaxis regimens for specific surgical procedures, along with alternatives for patients with a high risk of penicillin/cephalosporin allergy, are available in the Surgical Antibiotic Prophylaxis Clinical Guideline (PDF 785KB) appendices 1 to 17.
- Appendix 1: Breast procedures / Endocrine procedures / Abdominal procedures (including Splenectomy, Herniorrhaphy, insertion of infusaport and clean excision procedures) (PDF 74KB)
- Appendix 2: Cardiac Surgery (Adult) (PDF 104KB)
- Appendix 3: CVIU / Cardiology Procedures (PDF 75KB)
- Appendix 4: Prevention of Endocarditis (PDF 83KB)
- Appendix 5: Endoscopic Gastrointestinal Procedures (PDF 99KB)
- Appendix 6: Gastrointestinal Surgery (PDF 75KB)
- Appendix 7: Head and Neck Surgery (PDF 94KB)
- Appendix 8: Maxillofacial Surgery (PDF 76KB)
- Appendix 9: Neurosurgery Procedures (PDF 76KB)
- Appendix 10: Obstetrics and Gynaecology Surgery (PDF 78KB)
- Appendix 11: Ophthalmology (PDF 83KB)
- Appendix 12: Orthopaedic Surgery – Joint Replacement (PDF 80KB)
- Appendix 13: Orthopaedic Surgery – Non Joint Replacement (PDF 118KB)
- Appendix 14: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (PDF 74KB)
- Appendix 15: Thoracic Surgery (PDF 65KB)
- Appendix 16: Urology (PDF 88KB)
- Appendix 17: Vascular Surgery (PDF 74KB)
Aminoglycosides: recommendations for use, dosing and monitoring (PDF 152KB) - prescribing guideline for the safe and effective use of aminoglycoside antibiotics.
Antimicrobial prescribing clinical guideline (PDF 144KB) – provides general principles when prescribing antimicrobials for patients with, or risk of, infection.
ASCIA Penicillin allergic guide for health professionals – provides advice on alternative therapies for patients with penicillin allergy.
Community acquired pneumonia (adults) management clinical guideline (PDF 275KB) – provides advice to assist prescribers to identify and initiate empirical antimicrobial therapy for suspected community acquired pneumonia (CAP) in adult patients.
Empirical treatment of bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) clinical guideline (PDF 301KB) – provides advice on the initial empirical antimicrobial therapy for urinary tract infections in adult patients.
Febrile neutropenia management (adults) clinical guideline (PDF 313KB) – provides advice on the best practice in the initial management of febrile neutropenia in adult patients.
Intravenous to oral switch clinical guideline for adult patients – can antibiotics S.T.O.P. (PDF 175KB) – provides recommendations for the appropriate and timely switching of intravenous antimicrobials to an oral equivalent.
Splenectomy Vaccination and Antimicrobial Prophylaxis (Adult Asplenic and Hyposplenic Patients) Clinical guideline (PDF 241KB) – provides recommendations for the care of patients in order to protect them from overwhelming post-splenectomy infections (OPSI)
Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia (SAB) management (adult) clinical guideline (PDF 363KB) - to assist decision making around antimicrobial prescribing, investigations and duration of therapy.
Vancomycin dosing and monitoring clinical practice guideline (PDF 275KB) - provides statewide directive on the safe and effective use of vancomycin in adults.
For further information on antimicrobial guidelines contact SA Health’s Infection Control Service