SA Health is committed to ensuring that the experience of all consumers using its services is as positive as possible.It is paramount that the privacy and dignity of patients is respected at all times during their health care experience.
Effective, safe patient care, treatment and management delivered with care and respect for privacy and dignity should always be the first priority and principle in health care delivery.
All patients, staying overnight in a South Australian public hospital are to be placed in same gender accommodation, use same gender accommodation facilities, and are not required to move through mixed gender areas to reach their own facilities (except when considered clinically appropriate).
Same Gender Accommodation Policy, Guideline and Toolkit
The SA Health Same Gender Accommodation Policy, Guideline and Toolkit have been developed to support all health services and clinicians to ensure same gender accommodation is available by applying the patient centred care principles which includes respecting the patients’ values, preferences and expressed needs prior to their admission.
Same Gender Accommodation Toolkit (PDF 1072KB) and resources:
- consumer information (PDF 278KB), appendix 1
- staff information (PDF 541KB), appendix 2
- flow chart (PDF 65KB), appendix 3
- assessment checklist (PDF 65KB), appendix 4
- audit tools (XLSX31KB), appendix 5
- Local Health Network - commitment to improve privacy and dignity arrangements
- physical environment - actively supports patients’ privacy and dignity
- individual staff - actions actively support privacy and dignity
- Action plan
- ward / unit snapshot self assessment
- fact sheet (PDF 69KB), appendix 6.