Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety (TeamSTEPPS®) is an evidence-based program designed to improve teamwork and communication leading to a culture of continuous improvement and patient safety. Teamwork and communication is improved by practicing the four key competencies of TeamSTEPPS®:
- situation monitoring
- mutual support
A standardised approach through teamwork and communication to address the complexities of the healthcare system can have an instrumental role in reducing risk. TeamSTEPPS® supports teams to work dynamically and adaptively, to support shared goals, to become high-performing teams.
The model for delivering TeamSTEPPS® in South Australia is currently under review, with the aim of improving access, spread and the ongoing sustainability of the program.
TeamSTEPPS® was developed by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) and the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) and is delivered/conducted in Australia under licence with SA Health.
Improvements seen after implementing TeamSTEPPS®
Sites that have implemented TeamSTEPPS® have reported improvement in the following areas:
- patient safety culture
- teamwork and relationships including attitudes towards teamwork and enhanced team behaviours
- role definition and clarity
- quality of communication and clinical handover, including structure of multidisciplinary team meetings
- redistribution of clinical workloads and reduction in observed clinical errors
- reduction in seclusion rates
- reduction in incident reports related to falls, documentation and aggression
- reduction (for example, 50% - 2.2 days to 1.1 days) in mean Intensive Care Unit (ICU) length of stay
- compliance in timely prophylactic medication administration, reduction of adverse drug reaction and improved medication reconciliation at patient admission and discharge.
National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards
TeamSTEPPS® aligns with the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC) National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards. When implemented and embedded in culture, TeamSTEPPS® assists in the provision of evidence of compliance with these required and valuable national safety and quality measures and promotes a safety and quality culture.
The following resources are available for sites that have already participated in the program and provide more information for sites considering participation in the future.
- TeamSTEPPS® Orientation Sheet (PDF 85KB) provides a brief outline of the program and the key personnel involved which can be used as a quick reference point for all new staff at an established TeamSTEPPS® health unit
- TeamSTEPPS® Information for Patients and Carers (PDF 123KB)
Education and training
A number of eLearning courses have been developed to assist staff in understanding how and why effective teamwork and communication is important. See the TeamSTEPPS® education and training page for more information on the available courses, including the skills you will develop.
Nurse Management Facilitator: Team Effectiveness
Phone: (08) 8222 0337