Allied Health Professionals plus Professional Development Reimbursement Program (AHP+PDRP)
AHP+PDRP provides additional Professional Development (PD) funds for eligible allied health and scientific health staff working in SA Health.
Round 3 of AHP+PDRP will be open from 1 March 2018 and close on 30 March 2018, for direct reimbursement and group applications only. Staff payment of invoices for direct reimbursement needs to occur prior to submission of the application.
Payments for AHP+PDRP approved application reimbursement will occur post 30 March 2018.
Pre-approved application invoices and proof of payment from rounds 1 and 2 can be accepted up to 1 June 2018.
Remember the AHP financial year runs from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018. Therefore payments made on or before 31 March 2018 where an application had not been approved in the 2017/18 AHP+PDRP year will not be eligible for round 1 of the 2018/19 AHP+PDRP year; and
Payments made on or after 1 April 2018 where an application has not been submitted in the 2017/18 AHP+PDRP year will be eligible for round 1 of the 2018/19 AHP+PDRP year.
See the following for information on the program:
- Who can apply
- What the program covers
- Critical dates
- Type of applications
- Further information
Current SA Health employees who meet all the following criteria:
- work under the South Australian Public Sector Wages Parity Enterprise Agreement: Salaried 2014 and
- classified as either of the following:
- an Allied Health Professional (AHP)
- Dental Officer (DO)
- Grant Funded Scientist (GFSc)
- Legal Officer (LE, LEC or LSC)
- Medical Physicist (MPH)
- Medical Scientist (MeS)
- Professional Officer (PO)
- have registration or professional body requirements that include continuing professional development for registration or accrediting purposes.
The AHP+PDRP covers the reasonable reimbursement of professional development activity costs for individuals and groups up to a capped amount per financial year.
The following items cannot be approved:
- entertaining colleagues/others while at courses/conferences
- providing meals or refreshments, including to paid/unpaid staff
- purchase of medical equipment, for example stethoscopes
- Commonwealth supported places or fees1 paid via a Higher Education Loan Repayment (HELP) or equivalent scheme cannot be approved2
- professional registration, professional association membership or Union fees
- professional insurance
- computers including laptops, PDAs, iPads, mobile phones and phone plans
- internet subscriptions including rental and plan costs
- audio-visual equipment including TVs, monitors and cameras
- payment made on a salary sacrifice card or account, for instance MAXXIA.
Reimbursement for the following items may be supported through existing local funding rather than the AHP+PDRP. The AHP+PDRP will not approve these items as the expenditure associated with them is difficult to administer efficiently via the AHP+ PDRP or has been deemed the responsibility of departments or employees:
- incidental travel expenses including travel insurance, petrol mileage, meals
- transfer costs including taxi fares, bus and train
- text books and professional or trade journals
- coaching or mentoring activities.
Refer to SA Health's Travel and FBT Policy Directive for more information on Fringe Benefit Tax (FBT) implications for travel.
1 - Eligible post graduate courses are those that do not have Commonwealth supported places. Students in Commonwealth supported places must pay Student Contribution
2 - Fees will not be reimbursed regardless of whether they are paid up-front or via HECS HELP.
The AHP+PDRP year aligns with the Fringe Benefits Tax year and covers payments made between 1 April and 31 March.
The 2017/18 AHP+PDRP year runs from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018
For the 2017/18 financial year:
- Round 1: closed
- Round 2: closed
- Round 3: opens on 1 March 2018 and closes 30 March 2018, for direct reimbursement and group applications.
Types of applications
Where an employee has already incurred the expenses associated with their professional development expenses.
Open to individual applicants only.
Employees and groups can seek prior approval for expenses before the activity occurs.
During eligible rounds employees can submit direct reimbursement and seek pre-approval as part of 1 application.
When a manager or discipline group determines a professional development session that is necessary and/or highly sought after, and will benefit a number of staff, they are able to make a Group Application. This can include potential participants from other Allied Health and Scientific Departments and/or professions.
Where the cost of the activity is greater than $200 per head then this amount will be deducted from the employees individual allocation. Any shortfall in funding due to an employee exhausting their individual allocation amount will need to be picked up by the Local Health Network or Statewide Service.
Applications can only be submitted via the online system during round opening times.
All relevant documents should be uploaded and attached to your online application. If you have any difficulties, please email the AHP+PDRP team.
You (or the organiser) will receive an email three weeks after the close of the round notifying you of the outcome.
Travelling overseas? Then you must submit the Overseas Travel Application Form (DOC 176KB) as part of your application. The application will not be assessed until this document is provided.
Applications can only be submitted by a Manager or appropriate delegate.
If application approved the organiser will be required to supply the Allied and Scientific Health Office:
- letter of agreement signed by both parties
- proposal from provider outlying services to be provided
- a participant list and results of the evaluation undertaken, on completion of the activity.
In accordance with the Australian Taxation Office, all invoices must meet a minimum standard. Refer the the Australian Taxation Office website for more information.
For proof of payment, bank statements must be supplied. These
Director/Manager Support (PDF 20KB) - Pre-approval applications only
For further information on the program, including help applying for the program, contact the AHP+PDRP team at AHPplus@health.sa.gov.au or phone (08) 8226 6406 or refer to the AHP+PDRP Policy Directive (PDF 203KB)