Oakden Older Persons Mental Health Service Review
A review of the Oakden Older Persons Mental Health Service was undertaken by the Chief Psychiatrist, an independent statutory officer under s90 of the Mental Health Act 2009.
Closure of Makk and McLeay and Clements House
Safely transitioning residents and closing all facilities at Oakden has been a focus for SA Health since the Chief Psychiatrist’s Report was completed.
Clinical Services closed at Clements House on 22 September 2017, with the last two clients relocating to Northgate House. This followed the June closure of the Makk and McLeay wards when residents transitioned to the refurbished Northgate House and other care providers.
Following the Oakden Report and acceptance of all six recommendations by the South Australian Government, an Oversight Committee was established to ensure that all recommendations are fully developed and implemented. The recommendations, which can be read in full in the Response to the Review (PDF 171KB) include:
- developing a specialised contemporary model of care for people over 65 years of age who live with the most severe forms of disabling mental illness and/or extreme behavioural and psychological manifestations of dementia
- provision of appropriate infrastructure to implement the model of care
- developing a staffing model that utilises the full range of members of a multi-disciplinary service
- developing a new and appropriate clinical governance system
- ensuring there are people in senior leadership positions that can create a culture that values dignity, respect, care and kindness for both consumers and staff
- developing an action plan based on Trauma Informed Principles and the six core strategies developed by the National Centre for Trauma Informed Care.
Six expert working groups have been established to implement each of the recommendations and include consumers, carers, advocacy bodies, industry representatives, industrial bodies, aged care experts and SA Health clinicians. Each group will have a focus on achieving contemporary services which are consumer centric, developmental and best practice.