SA Health’s response to the Hospital Budget Performance and Remediation Reviews
SA Health’s response to the Hospital Budget Performance and Remediation Reviews outlines how South Australians will continue to receive access to safe, high-quality and affordable health care into the future.
The reports, prepared by KPMG and Deloitte, relate to reviews undertaken earlier this year within the Central Adelaide, Northern Adelaide and Southern Adelaide Local Health Networks, which were followed by six weeks of public consultation.
The feedback from the consultation process included comments, opinions and suggestions from staff, unions and the public which have all helped to inform our responses.
The majority of recommendations will be implemented as proposed, while others will require further consideration and consultation to determine the most appropriate response.
Further measures will also be taken to ensure all available health resources are used to maximise efficiencies and effectiveness within our health system, including:
- Pilot a criteria-led hospital discharge model at Flinders Medical Centre, enhancing timely transfer to home.
- Consult on the future for rehabilitation services in our State, making the best use of new and planned facilities at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Repatriation General Hospital and Modbury Hospital.
- Improve rostering to reduce overtime of medical staff.
- Ensure SA Health increases its efforts to generate additional revenue.
- Explore the creation of a state-wide centre of excellence model for the training and education of nursing and midwifery staff, creating better efficiency.
- Work in partnership with private providers (NGOs) to develop smarter ways of offering services to patients.
- Review the utilisation rate for acute health services, particularly where services are above national averages, and evaluate opportunities to develop links with sub-acute services where appropriate.
These initiatives will help SA Health to continue to deliver a high standard of care to patients and ensure that health care will continue to be available to those in need.
Each of the Local Health Networks involved in the review will lead the implementation and review of strategies within their Network. Staff and stakeholders will be provided with the opportunity to input into these strategies as they are developed.
View the full copy of the Safe, Affordable, Quality Health Care response (PDF 606KB).
In the interests of the environment please review the response on screen rather than printing a copy.
Consultation feedback responses
SA Health considered a wide range of feedback from staff, unions and the public on the Hospital Budget Performance and Remediation Reviews.
You are able to review a selection of the feedback provided by those organisations which have given consent:
- Public Service Association Central Adelaide LHN (PDF 53KB)
- Public Service Association Northern LHN (PDF 63KB)
- Public Service Association Southern LHN (PDF 70KB)
Consultation process undertaken
The Local Health Networks and hospitals involved in the review process were:
- Central Adelaide Local Health Network
- Royal Adelaide Hospital
- The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Northern Adelaide Local Health Network
- Lyell McEwin Hospital
- Modbury Hospital
- Southern Adelaide Local Health Network
- Flinders Medical Centre
- Noarlunga Hospital
- Repatriation General Hospital.
As part of the formal consideration process of the three external report findings, SA Health sought comments from staff, the community and other key stakeholders through a six week period of consultation.
The efficiency business as usual strategies outlined in the reports were identified with local level consultation and will be implemented as part of normal day-to-day hospital management with ongoing involvement of staff and unions.
The reports provided for consultation have 500 pages, in the interests of the environment the full reports are not available for printing. The following summary of recommendations are provided below and are available for you to print.
- Summary of Recommendations (PDF 212KB)
- Southern Adelaide Local Health Network: Hospital Budget Performance and Remediation Review Final Report (PDF 1.6MB)
- Northern Adelaide Local Health Network: Hospital Budget Performance and Remediation Review Final Report (PDF 2.1MB)
- Central Adelaide Local Health Network: Hospital Budget Performance and Remediation Review Final Report (PDF 201MB)