Privacy Breach Quarterly Update
Wednesday, 1 March 2017
Over the past three months, two SA Health staff have had their employment terminated for inappropriately accessing patient records.
From 1 December to 28 February, another three staff were disciplined and one resigned prior to the completion of misconduct investigations into serious allegations being finalised.
SA Health Chief Executive Vickie Kaminski said the trust between our patients and staff is the foundation of our high quality health system and we take any breach of patient confidentiality or privacy seriously.
“In February last year SA Health committed to report quarterly how many staff had been disciplined for inappropriately accessing patient medical records during the previous three months,” Ms Kaminski said.
“The majority of our staff do the right thing, acting professionally and with high ethical standards as they carry out their role.
“However we have made it clear that staff inappropriately and deliberately accessing confidential patient information will not be tolerated.
“These actions and other strategies we have put in place reinforce our commitment to the highest standards of patient privacy and confidentiality and ensure the South Australian community can have the utmost level of confidence in our health system.”
The number of staff disciplined for inappropriately accessing patient records will be published online every three months.