Education, Learning and Development
Education, learning and development is integral to the practice of nurses and midwives and supports the professions within a contemporary, evidence based and patient centred framework.
Education, learning and development supports and enhances the nursing and midwifery workforces’ capability and capacity to respond to new and emerging models of care and sustains and prepares the workforce now and for the future.
Nursing and Midwifery Capability and Self Development Framework
The Nursing and Midwifery Capability and Self Development Framework (PDF 155KB) establishes the processes and systems, to ensure that the skills and knowledge of the nursing and midwifery workforce meet the needs of clients now and into the future. The framework is designed to be broad and provide flexibility in meeting varying organisational and workforce needs.
The purpose of the framework is to:
- Guide nurses and midwives at all levels to continue their professional development within the context of continuous learning
- Guide health service providers in their development of appropriate and relevant workforce and professional development strategies
- Provide direction and supporting structures to enable the planning and implementation of staff professional development opportunities for career enhancement.
There are a number of support and development opportunities for students, novice and experienced nurses and midwives including:
- Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate Clinical Placements/Professional Experience Placements
- Transition to Professional Practice Programs (TPPP) for Registered Nurses
- Transition to Professional Practice Programs (TPPP) for Registered Midwives
- Internationally qualified nurses and midwives
- Nursing and Midwifery for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Nursing and Midwifery Scholarships and Postgraduate Study Assistance.