Nursing and Midwifery Office
The Nursing and Midwifery Office is a part of the Office for Professional Leadership and works in an inter-professional collaborative model with the Chief Medical Officer’s Office and the Chief Allied and Scientific Health Advisor's Office.
The Nursing and Midwifery Office, is committed to the values of SA Health and supports the embedding of health reform priorities, culture, best practice and the provision of professional nursing and midwifery leadership.
The Nursing and Midwifery Office oversees the provision of professional nursing and midwifery advice and development of the nursing and midwifery professions within South Australia.
The Nursing and Midwifery Office is responsible for strategic professional leadership of the nursing and midwifery professions across SA Health and for the following key focus areas as they relate to the professions of nursing and midwifery:
- Professional and inter-professional partnerships
- Practice development
- Best practice standards
- Practice changing research
- Education, teaching and training
- Professional development
- Legislation and regulation
- Policy and consultation
- Workforce organisation
- Reporting and performance.
- SA Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards
- The SA Premier’s Nursing & Midwifery Scholarships
- SA Health Study Assistance Program for Nurses and Midwives
- Country Health SA Local Health Network Scholarships
- Australian College of Nursing Scholarships
- SA Health Nursing and Midwifery Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives (CATSINaM) Conference Scholarships
SA Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards
Nominations close Friday 15 December, 2017
The South Australian Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards (Awards), recognise and acknowledge exceptional nurses and midwives within South Australia. The Awards highlight and celebrate exceptional nurses and midwives for the tremendous work that they do and acknowledge the significant contribution that they make to their professions, their teams and to the community through their practice, leadership and research endeavours. The eight Award categories offered cover all practice environments in which nurses and midwives work.
Go to the Awards page now to learn more.
The SA Premier’s Nursing and Midwifery Scholarships
The 2018/2019 Scholarships will be open for applications from Monday 16 October until 5.00 pm on Friday 8 December 2017.
The South Australian Premier’s Scholarships support nurses and midwives undertaking study tours focused on the discovery of innovative, evidence-based care initiatives that enhance professional practice, improve consumer care and community outcomes for all South Australians.
Awarded annually, there are five international Scholarships (each up to the value of $12,000), for overseas observational study tours.
SA Health Study Assistance Program for Nurses and Midwives
The SA Health Study Assistance Program Scholarships will be open for applications from Friday 8 December 2017 until close 5.00 pm, 23 February 2018.
Study assistance is awarded to Registered Nurses (RN), Registered Midwives (RM) and Enrolled Nurses (EN) who demonstrate a commitment to professional practice that is aligned to local health care priorities.
Awarded annually, study undertaken must lead to one of the following qualifications:
- EN – undertaking undergraduate nursing or midwifery studies (first year of study only)
- EN – Advanced Diploma or a Post Enrolment Certificate
- RN/RM – Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Master’s Degree.
Priority areas for consideration will be:
- Critical Care, including Cardiology, Emergency Care, and Intensive Care
- Mental Health including perinatal mental health
For subsequent priority areas, please refer to the Study Assistance Program Scholarships frequently asked questions page.
Nursing and Midwifery Office Newsletter Publication
The Nursing and Midwifery News showcases nursing and midwifery practice, professional achievements and updates. This will be replacing the monthly communiques.
- June 2017 (Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards special edition) (PDF 2MB)
- June 2016 (Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards special edition) (PDF 5MB).
SA Health and the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (SA Branch) are currently conducting a joint review of the South Australian Nursing and Midwifery Career Structure. For more information on the review and how to get involved please view the Nursing and Midwifery Career Structure Review.
For further information please contact the Nursing and Midwifery Office phone (08) 8226 0749.