Food and Controlled Drugs Branch
SA Health recognises that a safe food supply is a major contributing factor to the health of South Australians.
The Food Safety and Nutrition Branch in SA Health work together with other government agencies and local councils to ensure that the food for sale in SA is safe and suitable.
Phone: (08) 8226 7100
Postal address: PO Box 6, Rundle Mall, Adelaide SA 5001
What we do
The Branch undertakes work to protect the public from preventable health risks associated with the consumption of unsafe or unsuitable food and promotes informed consumer choices about safe and healthy food by:
- monitoring and enforcing compliance with the Food Act 2001 (SA), the Food Regulations 2002 (SA) and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, including food sampling
- engaging in surveys and sampling to inform national and state policies.
- supporting, advising and working with local government on consistency and workforce development
- developing and implementing national and state food and nutrition policy and law
- educating regulators, food businesses, consumers, students and other interested parties about food safety, labelling, food standards and nutrition
- investigating food poisoning and other food safety incidents and taking corrective action (such as food recalls) to protect the safety of the food supply
- coordinating the South Australian government’s position regarding the regulation of genetically modified organisms and genetically modified food
- approving and verifying food safety auditors
- conducting food safety audits of public hospitals, not for profit delivered meals organisations and other government agencies.