Balaklava and Riverton Health Advisory Council Inc.
The Balaklava Riverton Health Advisory Council (HAC) came into being on 1st July 2008, after the State Government’s Health Care Act 2008 removed the governance of local hospitals from local boards and established Health Advisory Councils to represent local communities.
The ownership of the property of the hospitals and aged care facilities is vested in the Health Advisory Council. It also manages funds donated or raised by the community, for use at the facilities.
The Health Advisory Council seeks to represent community needs to Country Health SA or the Minister for Health, and where necessary advocate for improvements.
Along with other Health Advisory Councils across country South Australia, Balaklava Riverton HAC is currently working with local communities and Country Health SA towards developing their 10-year health service plan. In 2008 communities clearly identified that they wanted to be involved in the planning of their health services, and Balaklava Riverton HAC has a major and ongoing role in seeking out community views and making sure they are included in a local plan. They want you to tell them what services work and what don’t, where the service gaps are, and what health needs aren’t being met.
We are the community elected health council for your health service.
The Balaklava Riverton Health Advisory Council can include:
- Up to 8 community members
- Nominee of local government
- A local member of Parliament or his or her nominee
- A medical practitioner member
- A worker from Country Health SA
- Up to 3 members appointed by the Minister for Health
The Balaklava Riverton Health Advisory Council is the health FACE for your community. Our role is to:
- Facilitate discussion in our community about health issues, priorities and needs.
- Advise and advocate on behalf of the community.
- Communicate and consult with the community and with Country Health SA on behalf of the community.
- Engage with the community and evaluate progress.
The Balaklava and Riverton Health Advisory Council Inc. hold meetings on the 4th Thursday of the 2nd month at 6:30pm. Meeting venues alternate between Balaklava Hospital Board Room and Riverton hospital Leisure and Activity Room.
- 2016-2017 Annual Report (PDF 1.4MB)
- 2015-2016 Annual Report (SA Parliament)
- 2014-2015 Annual Report (SA Parliament)
- 2013-2014 Annual Report (SA Parliament)
- 2012-2013 Annual Report (SA Parliament)
- 2011-2012 Annual Report (SA Parliament)
- 2010-2011 Annual Report (PDF 987KB)
- 2009-2010 Annual Report (PDF 137KB)
- 2008-2009 Annual Report (SA Parliament)
Balaklava Riverton Health Advisory Council
C/O Balaklava and Riverton Districts Health Service
16 War Memorial Drive
BALAKLAVA SA 5461
|Presiding Member||Don Hannaford|
|Local Member of Parliament||Kay Matthias|
|Local Government Member||Rodney Reid|
|Community Representatives||Barbara Rodgers
The Balaklava Riverton health Advisory Council meetings are held bi-monthly on the 5th Thursday at 6:30pm.
Meetings alternate between Riverton Hospital and Balaklava Hospital in the LAG Room.