Country Health Advisory Councils
The Health Care Act 2008 provides for the establishment of Local Health Advisory Councils (HACs).
HACs are incorporated or unincorporated advisory bodies, advising the Minister on health issues related to specific groups or regions.
A full list of HACs is available via the Country Health SA HACs Index.
In country areas, HACs will ensure that the strong link between communities and their health services is maintained, using the Country Health SA Local Health Network Health Advisory Council Inc. (Governing Council) as an ‘umbrella body’ to provide advice from a whole of country health perspective.
Incorporated HACs in country South Australia will hold assets, manage bequests and provide advice on local health service needs and priorities.
HAC Annual General Meetings (AGMs) are held annually between the months of October and November.
Further information, including legal frameworks, roles & responsibilities resources and remember forms is available on the Country Health Advisory Council resources page.
Presiding member panel
The CHSALHN Health Advisory Councils Presiding Member Panel purpose is to provide a mechanism for effective liaison between local Health Advisory Councils and the CHSALHN Governing Council and to assist the Governing Council fulfil its role as an advocate on behalf of the community thereby supporting the planning and provision of health services as part of an integrated statewide health system for the benefit of country South Australia.
Presiding member panel list - 2016
Flinders and Upper North: 2 x Presiding Member nominees
- Hawker District Memorial Health Advisory Council - Mrs Kaye Fels
- Port Augusta, Roxby Downs, Woomera Health Advisory Council - Ms Karen Reid
Eyre and Far North: 2 x Presiding Member nominees
- Mid-West Health Advisory Council Inc. - Mr Kym Callaghan
- Eastern Eyre Health Advisory Council Inc. - Ms Lorraine Walford
Yorke and Northern: 3 x Presiding Member nominees
- Port Pirie Health Service Advisory Council - Mr Barry Hay
- Yorke Peninsula Health Advisory Council Inc. - Mr Rodney Thomas
Barossa Hills Fleurieu 2 x Presiding Member nominees
- Gawler District Health Advisory Council Inc - Mrs Pru Blackwell
- Hills Area Health Advisory Council - Ms Kathryn Hourigan
Riverland, Mallee, Coorong: 2 x Presiding Member nominees
- The Murray Bridge Soldiers' Memorial Hospital Health Advisory Council Inc. - Mr Greg O'Brien
- Loxton and Districts Health Advisory Council Inc. - Ms Sally Goode
South East 2 x Presiding Member nominees
- Penola and Districts Health Advisory Council Inc. - Mr Bruce Robertson
- Naracoorte Area Health Advisory Council Inc. - Mr Barrie Moyle
Experts by Experience Register
- Yorke & Northern member - Mr Rex Angie