From within the department for Health and Ageing, the Emergency Management Unit (EMU) provides strategic leadership and direction for SA Health in preparing for, responding to and recovering from major incidents, emergencies and disasters that occur in South Australia as well as nationally or internationally.
Within the South Australian Government’s emergency management arrangements, SA Health is:
- Hazard Leader for human disease
- Control Agency for human epidemic and food & drinking water contamination
- Health and Medical Functional Service
SA Health fulfils its responsibilities to the State arrangements within a comprehensive Prevention, Planning, Response and Recovery (PPRR) context, including development of disaster plans and implementation of education, training and exercise programs.
engagement with the Commonwealth Government and jurisdictional partners to maintain and develop the national health emergency management agenda and associated capabilities within SA Health is a strong EMU requirement and includes:
- The Australian Medical Assistance Team
- Business Continuity
- Planning for influenza pandemic and extreme heat
- Education and training
Emergency Management Policy Directive and Framework
SA Health is assigned specific responsibility in the South Australian Emergency Management Act 2004 and the State Emergency Management Plan (SEMP) for provision, maintenance and coordination of health services.
To ensure compliance with these responsibilities and consistency across the agency, the SA Health Emergency Management Policy Directive (PDF 295KB) and its supporting Emergency Management Framework (PDF 167KB) are applicable to all emergency management activities across SA Health, the key principles of which are:
- Clear Governance
- An all hazards approach
- Adherence to the comprehensive approach to emergency management
- Development of staff through education, training and exercising
- Development of comprehensive emergency management plans and procedures
- Monitoring and continuous improvement through post incident review and formal debriefing
- Ensuring executive support and commitment to emergency management.
For further information, please contact the Emergency Management Unit:
Telephone: (08) 8226 7115 during business hours
Address: Citi Centre Building 11-13 Hindmarsh Square Adelaide South Australia.