Eating well really does matter
We’ve all heard it before, but it can be hard to get started.
Here’s the good news…
Every little change makes a difference.
The easiest way is to start small and try one new healthy ‘swap’ each week, and then by the end of the year you’ll have an amazing 52 new healthy habits and feel great!
Healthy eating ‘swaps’ could include
This week: try swapping full-cream milk for low-fat milk.
Next week: add to this by swapping your morning biscuits for a piece of fruit.
See, it’s simple!
So why’s it important to eat well?
We can get more out of life, feel better and live longer by eating healthy food. Eating well:
- Improves our body weight and shape, blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Gives us more energy to get through our day
- Reduces the risk of developing diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers and osteoporosis
- Ensures bone strength, good oral health and protection from infections
- Helps us to stay a healthy weight, and so avoid other health problems associated with being overweight including infertility, impotence, stress and sleep problems
- Builds the foundations for healthy growth, development and learning for babies and children.
What if I already eat well?
If you are keep going! But chances are, we can all improve in some way.
Unfortunately, on average, South Australians eat only half the recommended amount of vegetables and three quarters the recommended amount of fruit we need every day. So let’s make a change – what’s stopping us?
So how do I eat better?
It’s something we can all do
Did you know there’s actually a state-wide approach to help more South Australians eat well and be active?
The Eat Well Be Active Strategy for South Australia 2011-2016 is a new plan to help more South Australians eat well, be active and maintain a healthy weight.
As well as outlining what the South Australian Government will do, the strategy is also aimed at getting the whole community to work together, making it easier for everyone to enjoy the benefits of eating well and being active.
Join us to eat well be active
Be inspired by other South Australians and organisations that are making a difference, to eat well and be active.
Join in at our Facebook page and tell us what you’re doing to become healthier.