SA Health is committed to establishing and maintaining a uniform approach to Patient Identification across the public health care sector. In order to provide safe high quality care it is essential that we ensure the right care is provided to the right patient.
Policies, guidelines and standards
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
The National Safety and Quality Health Service Standard 5 – Patient identification and procedure matching describes systems to ensure the correct identification of patients and correct matching of patients with their intended treatment. This includes:
- Identification of individual patients
At least three approved patient identifies are used when providing care, therapy or services.
- Processes to transfer care
A patient’s identity is confirmed using three approved patient identifiers when transferring responsibility of care.
- Processes to match patients and their care
Health service organisations have explicit processes to correctly match patients with their intended care.
The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care has also developed some standards and protocols on patient identification which includes:
- specifications for a standard national patient identification band
- guidance regarding the steps that should be taken to correctly match patients to their intended care
SA Health has produced a policy, guideline and standard to establish a uniform approach to patient identification across the public health care sector. These include:
- Patient Identification Policy Directive (PDF 201KB)
- Patient Identification Guideline (PDF 190KB)
- Patient Identification Band Standard (PDF 96KB).
- Surgical Team Safety Checklist to assist in correct identification during surgical procedures
- SA Health Patient Identification and Procedure Matching Accreditation Resource (PDF 1010KB) has been developed to support Health Services and provides examples of South Australian tools and resources that can be used to demonstrate an action and standard has been met.
- Why do staff keep asking WHO YOU ARE? poster (PDF 105KB)
Principal Project Officer – Governance and Policy
Telephone: (08) 8226 6320